Posts for category: Dermatological Care
How your dermatologists serving Pittsburgh, PA, can help with moles
Moles are caused by melanocytes, the skin cells that produce melanin. Melanocytes are responsible for skin color, and when they grow together in clumps, it produces a mole. Most people have a few moles, but there are certain times when mole removal becomes necessary, as it may represent a skin cancer.
As Board Certified Dermatologists, Dr. Damon McClain and Dr. Susannah McClain at Three Rivers Dermatology in Coraopolis, PA, can evaluate any concerning moles. They proudly serve residents of Coraopolis and Pittsburgh, PA, and they can help you too.
Signs of a Concerning Mole
Normal moles are typically less than 6 millimeters in diameter, and have well defined borders. You should examine your moles regularly. If you have a mole that has changed shape, color, size, has irregular borders, or has a diameter larger than 6 millimeters, you should visit your dermatologist. These moles may be an early sign of skin cancer, and should be treated as soon as possible.
You should also visit your dermatologist if you have a mole that is itching, burning, oozing, or bleeding. Moles that grow back after they have been previously removed may also need be treated by your dermatologist.
Removing a Mole
If your dermatologist recommends mole removal, there are several methods to remove moles. Your doctor will discuss the options with you and suggest the best treatment for you. Common methods of mole removal include:
- Surgically shaving your mole, which involves numbing the area around and underneath your mole, and cutting underneath and around your mole to remove it. This treatment doesn’t require sutures and is used for smaller moles.
- Surgically excising your mole, which involves numbing the mole and cutting it out with a punch tool or scalpel. This treatment requires sutures and is used for larger moles.
Your dermatologist may recommend a biopsy to determine whether your mole might be cancerous. Remember that early diagnosis and treatment leads to a better outcome.
Mole removal is quick and is performed on an outpatient basis. To find out more about mole removal and additional medical or cosmetic skincare services, call your Coraopolis and Pittsburgh, PA, dermatologists Drs. Damon and Susannah McClain at Three Rivers Dermatology today!
What your skin doctors in Pittsburgh want you to know
Your skin provides an important service protecting your vital organs. Your skin also keeps you looking great, it will function best if you take good care of it. Taking care of your skin doesn’t have to take a lot of time out of your day. A few simple steps can help ensure a lifetime of healthy skin. Your board-certified dermatologists at Three Rivers Dermatology Coraopolis, PA and serving Pittsburgh, PA, Dr. Damon McClain and Dr. Susannah McClain, want to help you take good care of your skin.
Daily care of your skin is easy. Just remember to:
- Clean your skin with mild solutions like Dove or Cetaphil. Avoid harsh chemicals and drying soaps.
- Pat, don’t rub your skin. Leave a small amount of moisture on your skin.
- Toners help to balance the pH of your skin, but they aren’t necessary if your cleanser is already pH balanced. Always use alcohol-free toners.
- Apply a daily moisturizer, preferably one with at least SPF 15 sunscreen.
You need to take extra precautions if you are out in the sun. Remember to:
- Always use sunscreen when you go out. SPF 30 or higher is best if you spend a lot of time outside.
- Wear protective clothing including hats and glasses
- Avoid being in the sun between 10 AM and 4 PM.
You also need to take extra precautions during cold weather. Remember to:
- Apply alcohol-free moisturizer frequently. Creams and ointments are best.
- Don’t remain in a hot bath or shower for long periods because it can dry your skin.
- Don’t forget lip balm when you are outside.
Be sure to include regular visits to your dermatologist, especially if you are prone to moles, discolorations, and other skin issues. Your dermatologists in Pittsburgh treat a wide range of skin problems including acne, rosacea, eczema, psoriasis and other common skin conditions.
Take care of your skin so your skin can take care of you. For more information about skin care or to schedule an appointment, call your dermatologists at Three Rivers Dermatology in Coraopolis, PA and serving Pittsburgh, PA. Be kind to your skin and call today!